The Instituto de Seguros de Portugal (ISP) is the national authority responsible for regulation and supervision, either prudential or conduct, for the insurance, reinsurance, pension funds and their management companies and insurance mediation.
The ISP aims to ensure the proper functioning of the insurance and pension funds in Portugal, in order to contribute to ensuring the protection of policyholders, insured persons, participants and beneficiaries.
This mission is achieved through the promotion of stability and financial soundness of all the institutions under its supervision and ensuring the maintenance of high standards of conduct by operators.
The ISP is governed by a set of values that guide the definition and implementation of it's strategies and policies, including:
- The primacy of public interest;
- Defending the interests of insurance and pension funds consumers;
- The act independently and responsibly;
- The integrity, consistency and transparency in action;
- The effective, efficient and socially responsible operation.